Wednesday, July 8, 2015

#TeachersWrite Day 3

Today's author visit is from Melanie Crowder.  She is the author of Parched and Audacity. She has asked us to draw up some sketches for a few of the characters in our stories. What they look like, their hobbies, their habits, their flaws...

And so...I draw on Ol' Man Joe.  He was one of my people watchers from yesterday's assignment. Ol' Man Joe  is an elderly gentleman, probably in his 70's. His hair is gray like the hide of an elephant. His glasses sit precariously on the tip of his nose and he often pushes them up so that he can see more clearly. He sits at the computer with yesterday's newspaper and a cup of cold coffee. I wonder why he has a newspaper when he can read it online. So I ask him, "Joe, why not just read the newspaper on the computer? Why do you insist on reading a newspaper?" He looks at me with misty eyes and says, "Sometimes the real thing is better!" He hands me his cup of cold coffee in a cardboard cup. He says he doesn't taste the same as when it is freshly brewed and served in a coffee mug...

There's a story here with Joe. He is having a hard time with how fast the world is changing and how things are not staying the same. I wonder where he will take me...

1 comment:

  1. I like Joe, and I understand his thoughts. I want to help you grow him...what are his secrets?

    ReplyDelete